This is the first in a series of case studies about the work of the Greek Council for Refugees (GCR) in Lesvos. “M” is a young woman and mother from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DCR). She was forced into marriage at the age of 16 and was subjected to verbal, physical and psychological abuse by her husband. As a member of a political party in opposition to the DCR Government, M’s husband was regularly captured and detained. On one such occasion, M was arrested and imprisoned for 13 days, during which time she was sexually exploited and raped. She eventually fled the DRC and lived in Turkey for two months with other women, all of whom were sexually abused by a man in return for him housing them. When she arrived in Greece in October 2017, she was suffering extreme emotional distress and trauma. M saw a social worker with the GCR and was referred for psychological support services to the Hellenic Centre for Disease Control and Prevention. She was also referred to the UN Refugee Agency as a survivor of sexual violence requiring urgent transfer to mainland Greece in order to access appropriate services and to GCR lawyers. We understand that she will soon be transferred to mainland Greece where she will be able to access legal advice and social care in order to take her claim for asylum forward.
- COVID-19 and its Impact on Human Rights: a discussion with Oxfam. Tuesday 21 July 2020, 1900-2030. Free webinar.
- LAP Land Rights Free Webinar: Lawyers, Land Transactions and Human Rights. Tuesday 16 June 2020, 1900-2015
- Report on Grant to Support Nairobi Strategic Litigation Conference – October 2019
- Launch of Refugee Legal Confidence Programme in Surrey by Lady Hale at University of Surrey, February 2020
- Report from Oxfam Greece – December 2018-October 2019 Refugee Support, Moria Camp, Lesvos Greece
- Update on conditions in Moria Refugee Camp, Lesvos, Greece
- News from Lesvos, Greece – why access to legal advice is essential for asylum seekers
- Report on Lawyers Against Poverty and our guest speakers event on 14 November 2019
- An Account of Volunteering in Togo